Gamespace Part 2

For the second part of the Gamespace project, we made models based on our diagrams



My first model is for the game Alto's Adventure. It's a 2D snowboarding game and in my diagrams I looked at the game from the front and top so in my model I chose to look at it from the snowboarder's perspective of going down the hill towards the jump. I intentionally left the bottom half of the back side of the model open to emphasize the depth of the cliff. Notice the small strip of chipboard linking the tower in the foreground to the tower in the background. In the game, the snowboarder grinds on this wire to get across the cavern.



My second model is for Mari Kart. The screenshot I chose is at a curve in the road and I chose to emphasize that in my model by using the shadows of the horizontal slats to create the curved shape of the boundaries. In the center, I added a circle that can be slid along the groove like the players in the game glide around the turn.


Then, I made a model for the game 2048. This game was a challenge since it doesn't have 3D spaces in it, just the movement of blocks from side to side so I made just that: a set of blocks where the top two can slide from side to side. I decided to add interactive elements to these two models since we are modeling games and games are, of course, meant to be played with.



My next model is for Minecraft. I used intersecting strips of chipboard woven together to create a geometric representation of the space. I wish I could've created some more contrast and depth in this model, but all in all I'm happy with my work.


The final model I made was for the Sims. I chose a photo of the neighborhood overall which made it challenging to model the entire space. The concept I came up with was to make each house a window into the site with its own unique shadows (accomplished by slits along the edges of the box) because in the Sims, each house is fairly separate but can have vastly different things going on inside it.