National Portfolio Day Event Review

I attended National Portfolio Day at the San Francisco Art Institute this past weekend. I wasn't sure what to expect and I had never made an official portfolio before, but I learned a lot and had fun in San Francisco.
Here's my top 5 tips I wish I knew beforehand:

1. Go late!!
-At first the lines were very long for the most popular colleges but towards the end of the event, the wait is much shorter. At noon the line for CCA was an hour long and by three, I was able to walk right in!

2. Practice Presenting
-Work on the best way to present yourself without having to write all over your portfolio. Decide on a few key things that set you apart, inspire you, or are your goals for the future.

3. Be prepared
Take notes on the colleges that are going to be there, write down questions, and make a list of the colleges in order of your preference.

4. Bring a buddy (or two)
I was so thankful to have a friend and my mom with me! Buddies are helpful for waiting in long lines, getting you food, as moral support, and as an extra set of hands for all those college pamphlets!

5. Take notes
After every review, write down unique things that college said because at the end of the day, all the feedback will mush together.

I hope this feedback helps you in putting together your portfolio or in your decision to attend a National Portfolio Day event.



Still got questions on how to put together a portfolio?
Leave me a comment below...